Who will make decisions for me if I am in a coma or incapacitated?

If you become incapacitated, there are two different aspects of your life that need to be addressed: your personal / medical care, and your finances. There are two documents that address these needs. Both are an essential part of a thorough estate plan. The first is an advance healthcare directive—or living will—which addresses your personal and medical care, giving guidance to doctors, caregivers, and your loved ones. For financial matters, a durable power of attorney—also sometimes called a financial power of attorney—designates a person or institution to manage your finances in the event you are unable to do so yourself.