Pleasanton Estate Planning Lawyers Helping Families Move Forward
The DeCarli law firm delights in helping families and individuals prepare for their future with a full range of estate planning services. She is specially prepared to help clients who are:
- Blended families with stepchildren and stepparents
- Grandparents with custody of children
- Non-traditional families
- Families with minor children
- Individuals who are homeowners or who own other types of real estate.
When you work with attorney DeCarli, you can know that she will listen to your needs and circumstances so that the service provided matches exactly what you need to prepare for the future. You and your family will be in safe hands as our attorneys have many years of experience and know-how to draw up unique estate plans that are just right for every client.
DeCarli Law is proud to occupy two convenient locations where you can meet with us in person: Pleasanton, CA, and coastal Mendocino. We also understand that many individuals are unable to meet in person, and we offer services virtually or by phone as well. Call us today to set up your free initial appointment at (925) 568-2350.
What is Estate Planning?
When you go through the estate planning process, you make decisions now about what will happen to your assets in the future should you become incapacitated or pass away. These choices can protect your hard-earned income and provide a better future for your family. Some of the decisions you may make are:
- Ensuring that your assets will be distributed according to your wishes to avoid probate (the court process that estates go through if the individual did not have an estate plan)
- Determining who you wish to become the guardian of any minor children should both parents pass away, as well as how they will benefit from any finances they inherit
- Holding title to any property you own—including your residence and any investment properties—in a way that minimizes tax impacts when it is transferred when you pass away
- How to distribute funds from retirement accounts like a 401(k) or IRA to protect them from taxes and probate as much as possible
- Directing now what you wish to happen with your finances and healthcare should you become incapacitated
- Identifying an individual or organization to carry out your wishes with the administration of your estate after your death
With these many decisions and choices, establishing an estate plan should not be attempted without the help of a skilled Californian estate planning attorney who understands your needs and unique situation. You can trust DeCarli Law to stand by you to help you create a valid will, trust fund, and any other necessary legal document for your estate administration.
Which Legal Documents are Part of Estate Planning?
In the state of California, several documents can make up an estate plan. Some of them are:
- A will
- A trust such as a living trust, A-B trust, special needs trust, and charitable trust
- Powers of attorney for financial and other matters, a.k.a. “durable powers of attorney”
- Living wills, or advance healthcare directive
- Transfer-on-death deeds
When an individual passes away, their property and assets become subject to state laws as well as federal laws regarding inheritance and taxation. For people who own real estate in another state, that state’s laws may also apply. California law contains many aspects that affect estates both during an individual’s lifetime and after his or her death.
If you have any questions about estate planning for your circumstances, you should reach out right away to a trusted lawyer to help you assess your needs and get the right plan for you. The law group DeCarli Law has more than enough experience to be able to identify your needs. Our knowledgeable lawyers also take pride in listening to our clients’ wishes to ensure that their estate plans match their goals. Reach out to us today for a free consultation.
What are the Benefits of Having an Estate Plan?
Preparing now for the case in which you become incapacitated or pass away can make all the difference for your loved ones. Should you become unable to care for yourself, the court would make important decisions for you if you don’t have an estate plan, such as how to handle your healthcare and finances.
Also, when an individual has not done any estate planning, their assets become subject to probate law. This means a court will decide how their heirs receive their inheritance if any. If you have no living relatives, your wealth will go to the State of California. Charities, your close friends, and your domestic partner will not receive any of the hard-earned income you have set aside. Decisions such as who will administer your estate, who the guardians of your minor children will be, and who manages your finances will all come under a probate court as well.
Finally, an estate plan can help protect your assets as much as possible from taxes, meaning the amount that you leave to your family and friends will be much higher than if you do not take any action to protect these funds.
Are Our Pleasanton, CA Estate Planning Attorneys Right for You?
You deserve to have the best of care during the delicate legal matter of preparing for your death. Attorney Debra DeCarli and her talented legal team enjoy helping clients through these matters that can be difficult and confusing. We want to make sure your wishes are respected and that your family is protected no matter what the future holds. Our two offices are conveniently located in beautiful northern California, including a location in Pleasanton. We are also happy to offer virtual services to any individuals who choose not to visit in person. Call today to make an appointment for your free initial consultation at (925) 568-2350.